Princeton Volunteer Fire Department, NC

"Volunteers in Service" - Serving our community since 1939


Free Smoke Alarm Program

Fire Incident Report

Free Smoke Alarm Program

  1. What are the details of the PFD Smoke Alarm Program?

    The Princeton Fire Department, in cooperation with the North Carolina Office of theState Fire Marshall, will be offering free smoke alarms to anyone who is in need. Please view the Smoke Alarm Program flyer for details and contact information.


Back to top

Fire Incident Report

  1. How do I obtain a Fire Incident Report from Princeton Fire Department?

    To obtain a Fire Incident Report, please send an email to our Assistant Fire Chief at Please provide your name, contact information, and description of the incident you are inquiring about.

Back to top

Fire Extinguishers

  1. Where do I get a fire extinguisher?

    You can purchase an extinguisher at most home improvement, hardware or general retail stores.

  2. How do I use a fire extinguisher?

    It is very easy.  Just remember PASS:

    P - Pull the safety pin.

    A - Aim the fire extinguisher at the base of the fire.

    S - Squeeze the handle to begin to discharge the extinguisher.

    S - Sweep the extinguisher side to side while aiming at the base of the fire.

  3. What type of fire extinguisher do I need for my home?

    The most common fire extinguisher used in the home is a Class ABC extinguisher. For more detailed information on types and uses of various extinguishers, please visit

  4. How do I inspect my fire extinguisher?

    • Make sure there are no dents, leaks, chemical deposits, or signs of abuse on the extinguisher.
    • On the gauge, make sure the needle is on the green.
    • If the extinguisher has one, make sure the pin and tamper seal are still intact.
    • Make sure nothing is stuck inside the hose/nozzle

    Please visit http/ for more info.

  5. Where do I get my fire extinguisher charged or repaired?

    Princeton Fire Department no longer services fire extinguishers. You can use a phone book or the internet to locate a company that can charge or perform maintenance on your extinguisher.

Back to top


  1. How can I apply for a burning permit in Johnston County?

    You can go to the North Carolina Division of Forest Resources. Here you will find numerous links to various other sources of information, such as the Air Quality regulations and contact information for the country rangers. After familiarizing yourself with the Air Quality regulations, you can select Johnston County to be redirected to the Online Burn Permit Application.

    If you live within a city limits, you must check the regulations for that city or town. For those living within Princeton’s city limits, the ordnance bans the burning of any items, other than grills for cooking. No permits can be issued to allow burning in Town.

  2. Am I allowed to burn trash?

    No. According to the North Carolina Department of Forest Resources, it is illegal to burn:

    • Garbage, paper and cardboard
    • Tires and other rubber products
    • Building materials, including lumber wire, plastics and synthetic materials
    • Asphalt shingles and heavy oils
    • Paints, household or agricultural chemicals

    You can visit the North Carolina Division of Air Quality website for more information on the rules and possible fines for illegal burning.

Back to top